Tuesday, October 18, 2011

October socks - Sockstravaganza

I used last weekend to finish up my October socks. I was waiting on Friday for some yarn to arrive for the Buttonwillow wrap, but it didn't. Which was a good thing, because then I decided to finish off this pair. I've had half a sock lying around for some time now, because between casting on, and actually finishing them, I did a couple of other projects.

October socks-Sockstravaganza

These socks were the reason I bought the book "Brave New Knits", because they are on the cover. I liked the orignial colors, but I don't like to copy, so I changed the colors a bit. I added a third color, the natural white, because I thought the red color would pop more.

October socks-Sockstravaganza

I've come to enjoy knitting cables lately. I especially liked the left and right cable bands, flanking the big middle one.

On the back leg there was ribbing, which was very annoying to knit. It looks really good, but I could not memorize it, I could not get into a rythms knitting them, because the ribbing was not the same old (k2, p2) or some such. Anyway, once I reached the foot, it was plain old stockinette stitch on the bottom.

October socks-Sockstravaganza

Can you see the heart shape in the color work. The original had an open heart, I just added one red stitch at the bottom tip, to close the heart, and I like it much better that way.

October socks-Sockstravaganza


They turned out a little too wide around the ankle and foot part. I usually knit my socks with 64 stitches on the leg, and 60 stitches for the foot part. These were knit with 72 stitches throughout. I must say I needed the width with the colorwork, but further down they are loose, and I made them a few rows too long too. So, I might give them away, or hope they'll shrink a little in the washing machine.
October socks-Sockstravaganza

pattern: Sockstravaganza by Kirsten Kapur from the book "Brave New Knits"
yarn: Elann Sock it to me 4-ply (discontinued) and I'm not sad about that. Not the nicest yarn to work with.
needle: 2.25mm

***

25 comments:

CelticCastOn said...

Love these! Great addition with the natural coloured yarn it really shows the pattern well.

momsue84 said...

I love the socks, and they are just perfect with your clogs!

Unknown said...

Those socks are great.... but the clogs those polka dot clogs. I need a pair and I need them now. Did you get online somewhere? Do tell?

Cambria said...

Cables and colorwork all in the same sock seems an awful lot like showing off...and I'm all for that ;)

Michelle said...

I met Kristen this weekend and she's such a doll! Plus she has some really nice patterns, like those socks. Love your polka dot clogs!

Susan said...

What perfect socks to wear with jeans and your clogs make them even cuter! Adorable!

Suzanne said...

The socks are beautiful and I love the clogs!

MiA said...

LOVE

Wanderingcatstudio said...

awesome socks - I actually didn't notice the heart until you pointed it out - all i saw was the fleur-de-lis

Beverly said...

Lovely socks! I love the color combination and I didn't even notice that they were on the cover of the book

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL SOCKS!
It will be so sad if they don't fit you.
MargieinMaryland.

Rhonda said...

They look fantastic, especially with the clogs.

Anonymous said...

These are amazing! Your socks are always inspiring :)

Sharon said...

Love what you've done with the socks! They're perfect.

susannasplace said...

Schöne Socken. Die Borte macht echt was her.

LG Susi

Hannah said...

Beautiful socks! Just lovely!

Jewleigh said...

How gorgeous! I have Brave New Knits too and now I want to knit these socks right away. .. add it to my enormous queue!

wanderrast said...

die sind sehr gelungen!
ich liebe deine Farbkombinationen. bin da leider zu wenig mutig!
liebe Grüße Elfi

Walden said...

Lovely!

Anonymous said...

Those socks are gorgeous! And I love the polka dot clogs!

monica said...

LOVE LOVE these socks. I like that you closed off the heart too.

Virginia G said...

can't remember if I posted, but these are gorgeous socks!

hakucho said...

Awesome socks and they go so well with your red polka dot clogs! I had bright red clogs once, when I was in high school...no polka dots though ;)

2paw said...

I can see the heart!! I agree, the white makes the red pop and I love the secret surprise striped toes!!

Anonymous said...

I just love them and the clogs as well!

I agree about Elann's Sock it to Me. I used some recently and it was a pretty annoying yarn.