Monday, February 14, 2011

Shell & Feather Crochet Shawl

Shell & Feather crochet shawl finished-34x62inches-11

Somebody called this old fashioned, and I guess it is, but this shawl really spoke to me, the moment I saw it here for the first time. I fell in love with it, and wanted to make my own. First I had to get my hands on a copy of this book. Not easy, but I did it. I tried our Libraries first, but no luck. Somebody else called it classic, and elegant, and I agree.

Shell & Feather crochet shawl finished-34x62inches-4

In the book it was a square shawl, which I wanted to make into a triangular shawl. The top edge is a bit iffy, I made mistakes, but finally figured it out. Crochet is still not something I'm totally comfortable with. The yarn had a rather mohair like feature, and didn't want to be ripped out too often.

Shell & Feather crochet shawl finished-34x62inches-1

Throughout the main body I was looking forward to the edging. I was confident that I would have enough yarn to do the whole nine rows. Keep in mind, that for the same sized shawl, you'll need a lot more yarn if you crochet it, compared to knitting it.

Shell & Feather crochet shawl finished-34x62inches-6

Here the color is shiny, golden in sunlight. It's more true, than the one with the green background. But without the sunlight, it's between the two of them.

pattern: Shell & Feather crochet shawl by Mary Konior from her book " Crochet Lace" An Illustrated Guide To Making Crochet Lace Fabrics.

yarn: Wandering Cat Yarns Fluffy Cat fingering weight, color Winter Wheat, 2 skeins, had only 5g left over. I've used 760yds (1.9 skeins).

hook: 5.5mm (I), I think I could have used a bigger hook to make it even more lacy.

size: 33" x 60"

start-finish: January 11-19 2011

This is # 2 of 11 shawls in 2011. I loved the whole experience. I've used this shawl more then any other knit shawl I've ever made. It just sits right on my shoulders, is warm, cozy, and fluffy, as the name of the yarn suggests. I think it's because crochet of any kind, is tenser, heavier, more substantial, even with all those holes in it.
Crochet will never be my favorite craft, but I love it now and then, especially for blankets, but also for certain shawls now. It's a fine line of like or dislike for me.

***
Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day!

***

12 comments:

ikki said...

The shawl looks very nice.

Give a hug to my "four leg" -friend :).
And quest what. After two weeks I have a own puppy...

Michelle said...

Yay for crochet! Glad that it sits well on our shoulders. At least with crochet you don't have to worry about binding off your edge.

CelticCastOn said...

It does look old fashioned but I like it. I don't think I would have enough crochet skill to tackle this one. I can crochet in lines but I'm not so sure I could make a garment.

old lady said...

Your shawl is stunning! Lovely job. Makes me wish I could crochet - but I have a hard enough time finishing the knitted shawls I start!! Wear it in the best of health and happiness.

faith76 said...

It's stunning! Love it :)

Anonymous said...

The shawl is beautiful!!!

knottygnome said...

it's beautiful!

Rhonda said...

It turned out lovely, and I'm the same way about crochet. There are just certain items that should be crocheted.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with "old fashioned". I love this shawl.
One of these days I will learn to crochet, but like you, I think I will only be a "sometimes" crocheter and only for certain items

Anonymous said...

I love it. It's beautiful.

Laurie said...

I haven't crocheted in a long time, but that pattern would make me dig out my hooks again. Beautiful!

hafsa said...

very simple and very beautiful, and the color is perfect for it