Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Snail Hat!

This is the snail hat from the book "The Opinionated Knitter" by Elizabeth Zimmermann (another one for Zimmermania). I LOVE this hat! It's supposed to be knit with sheepsdown with the gauge of 7 1/2 sts over 3 inches!!! I've never had such a bulky yarn nor seen it. So I've held together three strands of Berroco's Ultra Alpaca (three different colors - charcoal, grey and pea green) and knit with 8mm needles (the largest I had). It could have been looser with larger needles. It fits me - just. But the folds get stretched out, even with the dummy's head. It doesn't matter, as long as I can put it on. I'd like to make another one soon, which hopefully will fit better, but for that I either need to find a super bulky yarn or get larger needles or both.
I've got a set going on here. I just might make a scarf to make it complete. We'll see. I'm also seeing the end of David's Log Cabin Blanket approaching. Another couple of weeks to go maybe a bit more, with other knits being worked on, but now that I can see the finish line, I'm more motivated.

6 comments:

sgeddes said...

Beautiful hat! I still haven't bought a book by Elizabeth Zimmerman, but after seeing your last two projects - I know I need to!

Violiknit said...

You are the most productive Zimmermanian ever! You must knit at warp speed! Really cool hat; I must try knitting it sometime :)

Anonymous said...

That's actually pretty cute. (I saw it in her book and thought - huh? but it came out really goodlooking).

Beverly said...

That's one of the neatest hats I've seen. Wow are you fast!!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely hat, I really like the colors!

Martina said...

Well, now I need to buy the book! Great hat.